If there is one company that is aggressive in the retail space and likely to take Nita Ambani head on is, Rajesh Exports, promoters of Shubh and Laabh Jewelery Retail Stores in India.
We decided to compare both the stores and their offerings and here is the outcome of our field study.
- Shubh for Value conscious while Laabh is for the Fashion conscious.
- Shubh – Targeted at Tier I, II and III cities while Laabh is targeted at Metros, Tier I and II cities.
- Shubh is focused on heavy gold jewellery with high karats while Labh is focused on Gold and Diamond jewelery
- Shubh stores are large and can be between 1,200 to 4,000 sft while Laabh stores are between 800 to 1,200 sft
- Both offer huge number of designs and we were stunned by the total number. Shubh offers 5,000 designs in total while Laabh offers 3,000 designs.
- Rajesh Exports plans to open 45o Shubh stores which will be on Associate model and 150 Laabh stores to be franchisee / company owned
Shubh Retail Jewelery Store:
platform. Shubh will have four formats of stores starting from rural stores to large urban stores. Initially, the company plans to target tier 1 and tier 2 cities (urban and semi urban). In the first phase of expansion, it plans to open 100 stores in the four southern states of India. First phase of launch in Karnataka has already started with 8 stores being launched. Revenue per outlet is expected to be Rs 9 crore per annum.
Laabh Jewellery Store:
The management has indicated that Laabh stores will be opened i nthe following cities. Ahmedabad, Delhi, Kolkata, Rajkot, Amritsar, Guwahati, Lucknow, Secunderabad, Bangalore, Ludhiana, Vadodara, Srinagar, Bhubaneshwar, Indore, Mumbai, Varanasi, Chandigarh, Jammu, Patna, Vishakapatnam, Cochin, Jamnagar and Pune. Revenue per outlet is expected to be Rs 7 crore per annum.
In a separate development, due to regulatory hurdles on FDI in retail, Oyzterbay plans are on hold. Rajesh Exports had planned to sell Fossil, Armani, DKNY and Diesel brands through Oyzterbay retail a shop-in-shop.