- Retail Purchasing Power of Indians – Over 70 mn Indians earn Rs 800,000 a year. This number is all set to rise to 140 mn by 2011.
- Organized retail in India is mere 5%
- Clothing Vertical is the largest contributor to organized retailing at 39%.
- Future Capital Holdings has invested $5 mn for a minority stake in Biba Apparels Pvt Ltd
- Avigo Capital Partners has invested $5mn in Spykar Lifestyle
- Citigroup $8mn + UTI $4mn in Primus Lifestyle
- Wolfensohn LLC has invested $11 mn in FabIndia for 6% stake
- ADM Capital + Blackstone + New Vernon together have invested $25 mn in Brandhouse Retail for 10% stake
- Fidelity + Gensis Capital + Artis Capital + Liberty International $33 mn in Provogue India
The promoters of textile company Donear Industries are negotiating with potential investors to sell 10-15% stake in the company and raise at least Rs 1,000mn to fund their foray into retail. Sky is the limit for retailing in India 🙂